‘Seasonal Scene Building’ is an interesting mix of a class from Altenew. The tutor Nichol Magourik, brings a different way to use techniques that you may already be familiar with. I found myself thinking a lot during the class, that I had never thought of doing that before.
This class was all about building a scene within your cards. The best card I created was a flower themed ‘Live in the moment’ one. To begin with, I stamped out the flower from Altenew’s ‘Sewn with Love’ stamp set. An interesting stamp, that is not as tricky to use as you would think.
I decided that it needed a frame, so I die cut one out. It was white card and ink blended with Altenew Paper Bag ink to get the right colour.
For the background, I first ink blended Turquoise and Teal Cave ink pads. This gave a nice blue colour with some variations in tones. I did not ink blend all the background as I knew I would just end up covering it up. I then used Versamark with the Altenew ‘Pattern Power’ stamp set. Heat embossing this with a clear embossing powder gives a very nice effect.
Finally, I used a sentiment from Altenew ‘Simple Flowers’ stamp set with Versamark ink on vellum. Adding the silver embossing powder to the vellum made the sentiment stand out.
I really like how the finished product looks like it is an embroidered picture hanging on the wall.
- Altenew Sewn with Love Stamp Set
- Altenew Pattern Power Stamp Set
- Altenew Simple Flowers Stamp Set
- Altenew Turquoise ink pad
- Altenew Teal Cave ink pad
- Altenew Dew Drop ink pad
- Altenew Rose Quartz ink pad
- Altenew Coral Berry ink pad
- Altenew Ruby Red ink pad
- Altenew Mountain Mist ink pad
- Altenew Frayed Leaf ink pad
- Altenew Volcano Lake ink pad
- Altenew Paper Bag ink pad
- Versamark ink pad
- Wow clear embossing powder
- Stampendous embossing powder: detail silver opaque
- Double Sided Tape
- Glue dots
- Heat Gun
- Stamping platform
Things I learnt from this class:
- The snapshot idea of having your card look like a close-up shot of something.
- Frames are a really good idea to bring attention to the focal design.
- Not to be afraid to layer stamped images.
- Used Promarkers for the first time for colouring in the stamped images.
- How to die cut an aperture in a card.
- Some interesting new layouts.
Some of my favourite pieces from this class.