It’s been a while, but I’ve finally finished another Altenew Academy class ‘Easy Die Cutting Techniques’ by Yana Smakula. This class covers everything from the basic use of dies with stamps to some more advanced techniques.
The best card I created for this class was one that involved die-cutting vellum. First I used the Baroque Motifs stamp on the vellum using Versamark, then added Wow Opaque Bright White embossing powder and heated it. This is a really good stamp to heat emboss, as all the details stand out. Even if you miss bits, the shabby chic style of it means it does not affect the look of it too much.
Turning the vellum over, I ink blended on the back of it to give a subtle hint of colour. Only after doing this did I die cut the images out. Vellum is easier to die cut than you would first think.
I decided to use a kraft card background to give a more neutral look to the card. Then added a simple heat embossed sentiment in silver. Finally, after gluing the vellum pieces on the card, I added sequins and Nuvo crystal drops.
Altenew Baroque Motifs Stamp and Die Set
Altenew Half Tone Circles Stamp
Altenew Sweet Leaf Ink Pad
Altenew Carribean Sky Ink Pad
Wow Opaque Bright White Embossing Powder
Stampendous Detail Silver Opaque Embossing Powder
Nuvo Silver Tinsel Sequins
Nuvo Crystal Drops – Olive Branch and Blue Babe
Things I learned from this class:
vellum is easy to die cut
sequins are a good embellishment, and it is ok to add a lot of them sometimes
Here are some of the other cards I created during this class.
‘Seasonal Scene Building’ is an interesting mix of a class from Altenew. The tutor Nichol Magourik, brings a different way to use techniques that you may already be familiar with. I found myself thinking a lot during the class, that I had never thought of doing that before.
This class was all about building a scene within your cards. The best card I created was a flower themed ‘Live in the moment’ one. To begin with, I stamped out the flower from Altenew’s ‘Sewn with Love’ stamp set. An interesting stamp, that is not as tricky to use as you would think.
I decided that it needed a frame, so I die cut one out. It was white card and ink blended with Altenew Paper Bag ink to get the right colour.
For the background, I first ink blended Turquoise and Teal Cave ink pads. This gave a nice blue colour with some variations in tones. I did not ink blend all the background as I knew I would just end up covering it up. I then used Versamark with the Altenew ‘Pattern Power’ stamp set. Heat embossing this with a clear embossing powder gives a very nice effect.
Finally, I used a sentiment from Altenew ‘Simple Flowers’ stamp set with Versamark ink on vellum. Adding the silver embossing powder to the vellum made the sentiment stand out.
I really like how the finished product looks like it is an embroidered picture hanging on the wall.
‘Celebration: Stencil Techniques’ class is part of the Altenew Educator Programme. This class is taught by the talented Laurel Beard. This class concentrates on using just one stamp set, and how many different looks can be achieved combining it with different stencil techniques.
The best card from this class is the flower congratulations card, using the Altenew Celebrations stamp set. This is from the first lesson where I learnt how to use die cuts to create stencils.
First I die cut Layered Medallions cover die B using my Fabmatic Die Cutting machine.
Then I used purple tape to keep the paper in place. I decided on a yellow/orange gradation look to the background. To achieve this I ink blended: Warm Sunshine, Buttercream, Caramel Toffee and Paper Bag. I really enjoy the process of ink blending, and seeing how the colours merge into each other.
I always love the reveal when taking away the stencil. You are never quite sure what you are going to get.
I then stamped the bouquet using my ‘We R Memory Keepers stamping platform’. I decided to use a stamping platform with the image just being a line image, and if I missed bits it could be difficult to line up again. To colour in the stamped image I used a variety of Chameleon Alcohol Pens. I liked the way the background shows through the lighter colours of the flowers.
Finally, I stamped the congratulations sentiment and added a green border. I chose green to highlight the colour of the leaves in the bouquet. Then I mounted that on a 7x 5 inch white card.